11 Jan 2011

Sorry Sir, We're Closed

The transfer window is closed; did we get everyone we wanted? Well, yes and more! I needed to get two new wingers, a new left back and a centre back to act as cover as we were a bit thin in that department. Before I arrived the club sold one of its best players Jan Vertonghen to Manchester United for £10.75 Million leaving me with a nice pot of money to spend. However, tight wage budgets stomped down some of my attempts to bring over Premiership quality players who have found themselves on the fringes recently. In total I bought 4 players and brought 1 on loan with a final bill of £9.25 Million. I suspect the Board would have preferred I spent less, but over half that amount was spent on Davide Astori – an Italian centre back for the future. Two of the best bargains were Tiago Dutra for £10K and Tarik Sektioui for £220K. Tiago is another one for the future, while Tarik will be my stop-gap between this and the next year as he is aged 33.

Overall, I am pleased, I do wish I could have bought Davide Astori for less but, sadly, sometimes things don’t go your way. I did also sign a Brazilian right back called Romario, but he will be travelling over next year. Also I am glad that any players I have that wanted to leave no longer have that chance now that the window is closed, if they will want to leave, we must make the most of them now.


No comments:

Post a Comment