3 Jan 2011

I'm Going Solo


I’ve stepped out of my comfort zone from being a part-time coach of Manchester City. The sacking of Mark Hughes on the 19th December 2009 and the appointment of Robert Mancini soon after, meant that my informal role was starting to end. I was kept on, training the young players up and doing a little bit of management here-and-there – gaining much needed experience.

Four jobs were available at the start of the 2010-11 season, Welsh and Ghanaian National Teams – Wales becoming fed-up with John Toshack’s excuses and Milovan Rajevac leaving Ghana after the 2010 World Cup. I applied to both Football Associations in hope of an easier management routine before entering day-to-day club football. However, for me, both applications were turned down. Ghana opted for a fellow coach of Manchester City, and Ghanaian, Charles Akonnor. While Wales appointed the popular, and the media’s favourite, Christ Coleman.

However, two club jobs still remained – and other team looking likely to sack their manager soon. Chairman of Newcastle United, Mike Ashley, sacked his manager in Chris Hughton reportedly looking for someone with more experience to take the club forward. I was approached to take over but choose another team over Newcastle, due to the volatile nature of Mike Ashley. I applied to the last remaining club choice – AFC Ajax. Martin Jol resigned as manager of Ajax after failing to win the title, and in my opinion, because there were rumours he might be offered the job at Newcastle or another Premiership club.

My application was accepted and negotiations for the position as Team Manager started.

No comments:

Post a Comment